Saturday, August 6, 2011

For What, I Might Add?

They wake me early,
I'm not the only one.
They count us each day, two by two.
This is no fun.

They feel we may escape,
for what, I might add,
This livin' on you own thing?
It's just a fad.

Now we get dressed.
It's time for breakfast
They give us gruel.
They say it is our strength, it is our fuel.

Now it's time for our learnin',
I wish we were done.
Because I don't know what it feels like
to win or to have won.

It's playtime now.
The big kids pick on me.
I think to myself,
we are all in this together.
Why can't they let me be?

I feel like cryin'
I feel like I'm open.
It is the 1940s'
My parents are gone,
and I, am an orphan.




Commentary:
Written Sept/Oct 2009. This was about the 1940s' during WWll. I was thinking about how many kids became orphans because their parents were killed. i didn't mention how the parents were killed but I want people to know that this was about a boy who was in an orphange with other kids who have also lost their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment